Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Day 15

Every day students are given 25 addition problems consisting of a constant number. For example 4+4=    , 4+7 =   , 4+3=   . The class is given 1 minute to complete every equation. Every day during this time I help out a little boy who has a hard time focusing on what he is doing (We’ll call him Seth). Seth has never completed all 25 problems before. I first try to help him by standing by him while he goes. This works for a little bit, but then he is distracted. I then started pointing to the problem he was on. This worked, but he lacked confidence so you could tell he was taking his time. When I shared a pattern with him it made all the difference. He zoomed through it today, and no only did well, but for the first time ever he completed all 25 problems in one minute! I was so happy! He was so happy, too. His face was glowing when he realized he had finished before the time went off. This is why I am a teacher. To see a child succeed at what they thought was impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment