Thursday, November 13, 2014

Day 12

Observation day! Yay! The most stressful day of my life! No, it’s not that bad. Today was actually one of the best lessons I feel like I have taught thus far in my practicum experience. The lesson was a direct instruction introducing the topic of facts and opinions! After explaining the definitions, and walking students through my thought process in deciding whether a statement is a fact or opinion, the students were given their own little notecards with either an F or an O on it. I held up sentences that we read together out loud, then when I said go, the students would hold up whether they thought it was a fact or an opinion. It was such a great way to assess the students for understanding, as well. I realized how important it is to have clear expectations and directions. Also, to model everything the students are to do. I never realized how much skill it took to be a teacher to think of all of these things at once. Some skills come naturally, but others definitely have not for me. But I have realized that as I utilize my resources, and am well prepared, then when I teach everything falls into place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment