Friday, November 14, 2014

Day 13

Something I realized I never really mentioned in these entries is how great the students’ morning routine is. What is funny is the days that observations have happened, or it has been a holiday, or for some reason the morning routine must be postponed or skipped, the students almost don’t know what to do with themselves. This was interesting to see how important routine and order really is in their lives without them even knowing it. First thing they do when they walk in the door is take their folders out and put them in the basket. Then they do their lunch count. Then they work on their review sheet, followed by their sentences. After they finish both sheets, they are then prompted to head to the carpet where many different events happen. Every week students are assigned to be helpers for specific activities. This is one that these helpers are used. They first do their weather, through a little box with a the middle cut out of it. They have been counting the number of days they have been in school and relating these numbers to money as well as an attempt to teach base tens and ones. They are then read a story that introduces what they will learn next. After they are taught and have successfully completed the hand out that assess knowledge,  At first I was hesitant to have such strong routine, but I am seeing how it will help me greatly, and more importantly, help the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment